Planning & Zoning

Staff in the Planning and Zoning Department can assist you with the permit application process...and more.  Permits required in Shelburne include the following:

  • Building Permits
  • Zoning Permits
  • Demolition Permits (Village only)
  • Peddler's Permits
  • Occupancy Permits
  • Sign Permits
  • Subdivision/Site Plan Fees

Special COVID 19 (Coronavirus) Response Update

Please note the Planning & Zoning Department will be open to the public on a limited basis starting June 8. Residents or others with questions about any planning or zoning topic are encouraged to email or call.   We ask that visitation be by appointment only – and would remind you that per Selectboard policy masks will required.  Onsite staffing will be available on most days. However the department will continue to use remote staffing when necessary. 

If you wish to file an application for a permit without first consulting staff by phone or email, we ask that you do so electronically using forms as PDF attachments. Email the attachments to Dana Hanley or Dean Pierce.  Someone from the Department will confirm receipt of the application and describe your payment options. If you prefer to “snail mail” an application, feel free to do so.

If you are seeking documentation relating to prior zoning approvals to facilitate a property transaction (e.g., sale or refinancing, etc.) or as part of litigation, we ask you to follow a procedure similar to that used by applicants for permits.

Also, consistent with the public meeting moratorium announced on 3/13/20, Town sponsored boards, commissions, and committees will not be meeting face to face. Instead, meetings will be held remotely. Instructions for participating in remote meeting is included on meeting agendas.

Building Permits

Building permits are needed and available for structural changes to the exterior or interior of your home. Limited home businesses are allowed in most locations and require a home occupancy permit.

Zoning permits are issued in accordance with procedures spelled out in state law. Most permits become effective 15 days after being signed by the Enforcement Officer (unless appealed by someone qualifying as an ‘interested person’). Permits must be posted in a visible location on the property governed by the permit. However, in most instances, this is the extent of public notice regarding issuance of the permit. Individuals wishing to stay abreast of permit activity in particular areas of the Town may wish to review the listing of recent permits listed here

Digital (electronic) Submissions are encouraged to accelerate the review process. For most browsers you will need to “right click” on the form of your choice and save it to your computer in order to fill it out. Should you have any difficulty obtaining a form, please contact the Planning and Zoning office; a copy of the desired form can be emailed to you.

Please Take Note:

1. DRB Applications are normally due at least 3 weeks in advance of each meeting. (However, as noted above, meeting schedules have been disrupted and as a result the amount of time between acceptance of an application and the date of associated hearing will be greater.)
2. To submit an application digitally, open the form using a PDF program (not your web browser) and type in the requested information. After the form is filled out, save it (to retain the information you entered). Then attach the saved file to an email and send to Dana Hanley.
3. Payment must be received before a permit can be issued. Checks can be mailed or brought to the Planning and Zoning Office.

Also Please note:

Planning and Zoning and the Town does not issue Certificates of Zoning Compliance. 

Zoning / Building Permits

DRB Applications & Info

Submissions - On-Line Submissions are encouraged.

1.  DRB Applications are due 3 weeks in advance of each meeting.
2.  To submit an application, fill out applications below and click on the submit button at  the bottom of the form.
3.  Payment must be received before a permit can be issued. Checks can be mailed or brought to the Planning and Zoning Office.  

Related Documents